Friday, November 9, 2012

The Pioneer & The Discoverer

If you've followed my cousin's Sandra's blog, you will see that she coined her brother, Rajen as 'The Pioneer' in our family story before she passed away earlier this year. I find the title very fitting. He was the first one in the family to enter this unchartered territory of hereditary diffuse gastric cancer. During his battle with cancer, we had no idea of what the years to come after his death would bring. But he did tell us his story and all the symptoms he experienced. He taught us to observe and prepared us for what was to come.

It made me think of what Sandra's role is in all this and I think she was 'The Discoverer'. Her thirst for knowledge was a sight to see. She was perhaps the most brilliant person I've ever known and her being a scientist she yearned to find answers. She was very proactive and, because of her actions, we discovered the genetics behind the cancer.

I am so proud to be related to them and think about them often. I feel like they'd both motivated me in such a profound way. They were more than just cousins to me, they were my big brother and big sister. Their battles motivate me to follow their lead in searching for more answers. Answers that will eventually kick cancer's ass.

I wonder what my role will be in the years to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment