Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Letter to Mom

I wrote this letter to my mom and read it at her funeral service on Sunday.


Dear Mom,

Nine months ago we started this journey together to conquer stomach cancer. Our faiths became entwined and we endeavoured into something that was bigger than both of us. I became your primary caregiver, your advocate,  and the rock you could always rely on. Together we went to every apppointment, scan, test, procedure, hospital visit and more.  We traveled all over the state exploring numerous options that could beat this. I shared our story to those all over the world in my blog and you have inspired so many in the process. We fought the drug companies, went head-to-head with the insurance companies, started a jewelry collection in your name to raise awareness for the disease and seeked answers on this rare genetic cancer in order to save others.

Nine months ago, even when you got sick and had to deal with the slew of side effects, complications and days in hospice....you were still one amazing mom. You worried about all my time off from my job, getting home safely in bad weather conditions (and making sure I call you once I got home), if I’ve eaten enough, each prenatal checkup, and my the baby’s well being as I physically carried you in your weakened state.

I vividly remember before any test was done to confirm my pregnancy, you came up a few inches to my face and looked me straight into my eyes and said “Babe -- you’re pregnant”. I remember blowing you off and telling you, “Mom, that’s silly, it’s much too soon”.

I remember you surprising me one day after your chemo treatment with a feast for us to eat.  You weren’t feeling well but remembered how I liked eggplant and rice and how S liked guyanese bakes. As a result -- you made enough food to feed an army.

Or the day when it all changed, and you decided to fight harder when I told you that you’d be a grandma. I picked you for chemo. You looked so happy, vibrant and there was a pep in your step. You wore your wig for the first time, put on your makeup and got all dressed up. You got in my car and said, “Today is a good day. I am happy. I’m going to be a grandma!”.

Even in your last days in the world, you looked at me and saw the gray hairs peeking through. You said to me, “You really should get that taken care of”. Mom you were amazing and there are just no words to even explain how great your were.

Mom , we were close to begin with before your diagnosis. But the last nine months, I feel like the love we had for each other took on a whole new level.  As painful as it was to endure all the pain and heartache, I cherish the last nine months.  We got to share so much including finding out your grandson’s name.

I know that you never saw me cry in front of you but it didn’t mean that I wasn’t hurting. I wanted to be that pillar of strength for you.  As I look back, I now know that it was meant to be that way. You needed me...and I needed to do all the things I did.

I want to tell you that I will be ok...and I will look over M  in your absence.

3 comments:

  1. Good post. Value the honesty. Love the courage found in your blog. I would expect helpful to many. Thank you! I started a blog this year hoping to offer bits of hope, thoughts and ideas that could make a difference.
    *( 1 )****Visites My sites>>>>>>>>>> mentaldepressed *****************

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete